Wednesday, February 06, 2008

BROKEN LEG!!!

My poor sweet Tiny One has a fractured Tibia!
How you ask, did this happen? WE HAVE NO IDEA!!! One might think that something as major as breaking the second longest bone in your body would be an obvious moment in time!
The last few days have gone something like this...
*Sunday/ Monday - Lots of walking and happily playing. Hardly any crawling, instead, every time she would fall, she'd get right back up to walk again.
*Monday Night - Just about ready to get in the tub before bed. Tiny One was toddling around, goes from tile to carpet and falls down. Fussing, Mommy picks up and the crying begins. Crying uncontrollably for about 30 minutes. Mom and Dad think she must be sick, because she didn't seem to bump anything when she fell. Check for fever, try to put in the tub, sing songs, go outside, finally calm enough to drink milk and go to sleep around 7:15p.m.
*Tuesday Morning - Everyone wakes up in a good mood, no fever, must have been a fluke thing last night. Send dad to work w/ the car thinking that we'll just stay home and have a "down day." (dad suggests us bringing him to work, so we can have the car just in case, mom says she thinks they'll be fine) About 10:30a.m. the inconsolable crying starts again. She's snuggly and almost limp in my arms, there must really be something wrong. Call Dr. and ask to speak w/ a nurse. Call Dad to say we probably need the car...yes honey, you were right! Freak out about what could be causing our child to act so ill when she doesn't even have a fever, or runny nose! (oh, and PRAY A LOT between all these things too!) :o) Get a call back from the nurse, and decide that I should definitely schedule an appointment for as soon as possible. 2:45p.m. is the soonest we can be seen. Tiny One finally calms down and we play outside, swinging etc., eat lunch, play inside. Finally around 12ish I realized that it was her LEG. The first time she tried to stand I saw her favor her leg and the crying started all over! This poor girl was in some serious pain. I checked her over to see if I noticed any swelling or bruising, none of which I found, but I kept a close eye. Sure enough any time she tried to bear weight on it, she was in pain.
Armed w/ my new information, we headed to our 2:45p.m. appointment.
After a quick once over (heart, ears, throat, etc.) the Dr. watches her try to stand. Without any poking or prodding they could tell something was up, so they send us over to a nearby medical center for X-rays and lab work. (the lab work to rule out any type of infection that could be causing problems)
Let's just say it was NOT a fun time. It's the worst thing to have to watch (and hold down) your baby when they're going through anything, but the blood draw was a NIGHTMARE! Her tiny veins we're apparently "beautiful and great," but they kept rolling away. I'll save you the gory details, but after 4 or 5 sticks and some digging around they hardly had anything. We headed over to X-rays so she could calm down for a little while. She was great as long as she wasn't being poked or prodded, but as soon as we laid her down on the table she started freaking out again! POOR GIRL! Thankfully her little legs are so tiny that they could fit the whole thing on a slide, and didn't have to do near as many individual pics as they would have if she was bigger. After that we headed back to the lab and had a 3rd person (apparently the best one there) come in to help. Two more sticks, some more digging around, and finally they were able to get a draw. The techs really did seem nice and like they knew what they were doing, but her tiny veins just weren't cooperating. That was definitely the worst part. Such a little trooper!
Here's what her tiny arms looked like this morning. She hasn't seemed too bothered by them today, but I'm sure they're sore!!!



By the time we got home it was 6p.m. and she chowed down a good supper, then went right to bed at 7.
The Dr. called to say that it was indeed a fracture in her tibia, and would require a cast. We were to call in the morning to set up our appointment with a pediatric orthopedic Dr.
Tiny One slept through the night like a champ, 'til about 5:30a.m., and the second I heard her make a peep I ran in there to give her some Motrin. Thankfully she went back to sleep until 7:20a.m.!
Not knowing the timing of our appointment, I gave her a bath first thing, since I knew it would be tough with a cast on later.
Here she is with her wild morning hair!


Here's some before shots of her sweet little chubby legs! I could just eat 'em up.
She was in a great mood all morning, except for being frustrated that I wouldn't let her stand.
As long as she stayed sitting or even crawling she was fine.


My mom came over to pick up Munchkin for the day (God knew that I could use her help today, so it just "happened" to work out that she has the day off), so Tiny One and I had a fun morning of playing together.
It turned out that the soonest appointment available wasn't 'til 2:20p.m. Thankfully she got a good morning nap in, and a tiny afternoon nap, before I had to wake her up to leave.
We had to stop by the hospital again to pick up her X-rays on the way to the Ortho Dr. and I was wondering how she would react when we walked back in there after our traumatic afternoon. Again, thankfully she seemed totally fine.
She had fun eating crackers and playing on the table while we waited for the Dr. and was an outstanding patient the WHOLE TIME. Not a single tear was shed!
Here's a play-by-play.


Another couple of cute little chubby before pics.


"Night Night"
The stocking.

Cotton for cushion and padding.

My brave girl.

Getting the actual "cast" part put on.

All wrapped up for the ride home, so the sticky part wouldn't get on anything.

My big brave girl! I'm so proud of you.

Trying it out at home.




The Dr. said that it's not a bad break (it's on the front inside of her leg, down near her ankle), and if it were an adult patient he would just put them on crutches for a few weeks, but she's going to have to be in this full, above the knee cast for 6 whole weeks! My poor, poor girl! We're so thankful that in the grand scheme of things this is the worst of our worries, but definitely bummed out for our sweet heart!
I'm sure there will be some interesting stories and pictures to come.
Please pray for quick healing for our sweet Tiny One and that she would be back to her normal self when she gets the cast off. The Dr. said occasionally kids can pick up weird walking issues, from trying to walk w/ a cast on. I'm not sure how much she'll even try, but I can tell she's already frustrated that she can't bend her foot or knee!
She's a trooper though and has had a great attitude through this whole experience. Hopefully she won't remember a thing! :o) And we're also glad it's not the middle of the summer.
Here's to an exciting 6 weeks with a cast! Thanks for your prayers.

5 comments:

Rachel H said...

Oh my word! How horrible! We will be praying for all of you! How strange that babies trip and fall all the time but nothing happens. She must have fallen just right...or just wrong, actually. Tiny looks like she was such a trooper!

Rocky and Sunee said...

Oh Cheryl! I'm so sorry. Poor Tiny One! I just want to give her a hug. We'll be praying for y'all. 6 weeks isn't alot in the big scheme of things but when the 6 weeks involves such a little kiddo it seems like forever. Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

That's just crazy! The poor girl... take some video of her getting around, when you get a chance.

It was fun to talk to you last night. I forgot to tell you that a few nights ago, I had a dream that you and I were going around the (old) church office sneaking under people's desks and stealing their snacks. We were caught under a desk eating twinkies. BIZARRE.

Daryl & Diana said...

Oh goodness, I am praying for your poor baby, especially that whatever caused the break was a freaky one time thing.

Anonymous said...

That is so CRAZY, Cheryl! I'm so sorry to hear about Tiny One. She sounds like such a BRAVE and content girl. We'll be praying for perfect healing and nice strong bones. Isn't it crazy that the MILK DRINKER had a broken bone?? What a weird thing to happen. Kids keep you thinking.